How to eat to lose weight: 20 tips from Bob Harper
Bob Harper not only creates effective weight loss video programs, but also gives helpful tips on nutrition. In his book, The Rules of Slimness, he provides several compelling theses that are guaranteed to help you lose weight.
Nutrition Tips from Bob Harper
1. Drink a glass of water 15-20 minutes before each meal.… Much has been said about the benefits of water, so do not forget to drink at least 2 liters of water daily. In addition, drinking a glass of water before meals can help reduce appetite.
2. Don’t drink extra calories. Soda, non-natural juices, sweet coffee or tea – very often we don’t even take them for a full meal. Although they surpass many other foods in carbohydrate content. If you are thirsty, give preference to natural water.
3. Eat protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. First, they are essential for building your muscles. And secondly, the body needs more energy to digest proteins than to digest fats and carbohydrates. Proteins include meat, fish, cottage cheese, peas, lentils, eggs, soy.
4. Avoid baked goods and processed flour products. Everyone knows about the dangers of flour for the figure, so try to make a menu without including such products in your diet.
5. Consume 30 to 50 grams of fiber every day. Fiber cleanses the body of toxins, and also provides quick saturation of the body without consuming extra calories. Bran is considered the most valuable source of fiber.
6. Eat apples and berries every day. They are a good substitute for a sweet dessert. They also contain many vitamins and nutrients.
7. Limit your intake of carbohydrates after lunch. It is carbohydrates that are most often processed into fat, so it is best to consume them in the morning. This is especially true for fast carbohydrates.
8. Always carefully study the composition of the products. Many are bought for a variety of flashy labels on the packaging, for example, “natural product” or “fitness food”. Always read the composition and analyze the usefulness of the product.
9. Monitor portion sizes closely. For example, if you eat a handful of nuts or cookies, you won’t know the exact serving size. Always place food on a plate to control meals, and try to use the same plate size.
10. Stop eating sweeteners, including artificial ones. They act on the taste buds without being absorbed in the human body. It is simply a sugar substitute that provokes appetite but not satiety.
11. Forget about potatoes… It contains a lot of starch and polysaccharides, so it is not recommended to eat it for losing weight. Choose complex carbohydrates such as cereals.
12. Take a meat-free day once a week. But in order not to deprive the body of protein foods that are so useful and needed, cook peas, lentils or a large portion of omelet that day.
13. Forget about fast food and fried foods. Better yet, cook in a double boiler to preserve the beneficial properties of the food. Add spices and herbs to keep your food tasteless.
14. Always have a full breakfast. First, the morning meal involves the body’s metabolic process. And secondly, in the evening you will have a brutal appetite for skipping a full breakfast.
15. Take homemade food with you to work and try to cook yourselfat least 10 times a week. You cannot know for sure what was added to the dish in cafes and restaurants and how it was prepared. What can we say about ready-made food from supermarkets and semi-finished products.
16. Cut back on salt and salty foods. Salt retains water and interferes with natural metabolic processes. And this, in turn, provokes edema and weight gain.
17. Eat vegetables. Just do it! Vegetables contain fewer calories, but they are good filling. Also, vegetables slow down the absorption of carbohydrates and fats, preventing them from being immediately processed into fat cells.
18. Go to bed hungry. This is not even a rule, but a necessary necessity. With limited nutrition (especially at first), you will permanently feel hunger.
19. Be sure to get enough sleep. It has been proven that with regular sleep deprivation, the regulation of hormones responsible for appetite is disrupted. Therefore, the duration of your sleep should be at least 7-8 hours.
20. Allow yourself to relax once a week. If you constantly keep yourself within strict limits, then sooner or later you will break down. Just remember that the relaxation should be during one of the meals, and not throughout the day.
See also: Everything You Need to Know About Nutrition Before and After Workout.