The Whole Truth About the 1200 Calorie Diet
When talking about limited nutrition, a diet of 1200 kcal per day increasingly pops up. Is this method of losing weight effective and can such food be called harmless to the body?
Read our other helpful articles on nutrition:
About 1200 kcal per day
1200 kcal are considered such a magic figure, at which, on the one hand, it is great to lose weight, and on the other hand, metabolism is not disturbed. The essence of the diet is very simple: you must eat within this range of calories daily until you lose weight. There are no special requirements for the menu, but, of course, it is better to choose the right products. Although, with such restrictions, you can’t eat especially harmful food.
Advantages of 1200 kcal nutrition:
- With such a limited diet, you will definitely lose weight. For a month, a loss of 5 to 10 kg is possible, depending on the initial weight.
- It is almost guaranteed that your menu will consist of the right and healthy foods. After all, otherwise it is very difficult to keep within such a limited calorie intake.
- This method of losing weight does not cause serious harm to the body, unlike mono-diets with a very low calorie diet (diets on buckwheat porridge, kefir, grapefruit, etc.).
Cons of food for 1200 kcal:
- It is very difficult to always eat within 1200 kilocalories. And if you return to the usual menu after the long-awaited weight loss (even within the normal 1800-2000 kcal), you will gain weight very quickly. Your body has slowed down its metabolism in order to continue to function with such a poor diet. And with an increase in the calorie intake of the daily diet, all excess will be stored in the form of fat on your body.
- With a diet of 1200 kcal per day, there is a high risk of losing your diet. Still, such a diet requires significant exposure, because the body clearly receives less than required.
- With such a limited diet, you will not be getting all of the essential vitamins and minerals found in foods.
- If you eat 1200 kilocalories, you simply will not have the physical strength for effective fitness. And losing weight without sports is not the best option if you look at the long term.
- And most importantly, why torment yourself by eating within such a limited calorie intake, if you can achieve exactly the same result by reducing the energy value of your menu by a reasonable amount. Read more in our article on counting calories.
Therefore, one may wonder if the game is worth the candle? After all, no matter how much we want to lose weight very quickly, our ultimate goal is to keep the body healthy and working smoothly. And this is possible only with a combination of a balanced menu and regular sports. A 1,200-calorie meal does not fit well into this concept.
Note! 1200 calories can be a perfectly normal weight loss figure if you are low weight, short and not physically active. With such initial data, the calorie rate will be low, and it will not be harmful to the body. (be sure to calculate from the link above)…
Tips for losing weight on the 1200 calorie system
If you are still determined or are already eating at around 1200 kcal per day, then some tips will be useful to you:
- The transition from limited to nutritious nutrition must be built correctly. It is very important to smoothly switch to good nutrition. Even if you have achieved the results you need in losing weight, in no case should you suddenly start eating without restrictions. This will lead to a complete return of the lost kilos. Gradually increase the calories in your diet by adding about 100 calories per week.
- Try to eat a variety of foods. We love some foods less, some more, but with such a deficit diet, a varied menu is very important. Of course, it’s good if you find your ideal diet that suits your taste and fits into the 1200 kcal limit. However, the body needs a varied diet, so do not forget to alternate types of meat, cereals, vegetables and fruits.
- Consume vitamins. Diets, whatever they are, are always accompanied by a lack of vitamins or trace elements. Therefore, be sure to buy a complex of vitamins at a pharmacy and take them regularly. This will reduce the risk of consequences from the diet.
It is obvious that a diet of 1200 kcal per day, although an effective method of losing weight, is at the same time quite extreme. To create a beautiful figure, it is much easier and more productive to calculate your real calorie intake, choose high-quality physical activity for yourself and successfully combine these two areas.
RIGHT DIET: where to start step by step