Top 10 Foods High in Vitamin A
Back in 1913, researchers at Yale and Wisconsin Universities found that cod liver and egg yolks had a beneficial effect on the state of the body of laboratory mice. Within two months, a diet with these foods high in vitamin A strengthened the animals’ heart system and significantly improved their appearance. But the absence of foods rich in vitamin A in the menu worsened the condition of the skin, fur and eyes of mice, their complete exclusion was fraught with the death of animals. As it turned out later, this phenomenon was caused by previously unexplored vitamin A or retinol.
Retinol or vitamin A – essential element for the functioning of the human body and many animals. Refers to fat-soluble vitamins, so its absorption is possible for the most part with fats. This is one of the most important vitamins for human health, because its static deficiency entails a gradual destruction of the body.
The daily dose of vitamin A for women is 800 mcg, and for men it varies around 1000 mcg. Children are shown a daily allowance of 400 mcg of retinol.
Vitamin A performs the following functions in the body:
- Improves vision… Retinol has a beneficial effect on photoreception, supports the activity of the optic nerve and the production of visual pigment in the retina. Vitamin A occupies not the last place in the perception of light by the eyeball.
- Strengthens the immune system… Foods high in vitamin A are essential for the functioning of the immune system. Retinol helps the body fight infections and pathogenic microorganisms, increases the protective function of the mucous membrane. Vitamin A takes part in redox processes and contributes to the regulation of protein synthesis. In addition, foods rich in vitamin slow down the aging of cells in the body and increase the phagocytic properties of leukocytes – blood cells. Vitamin A protects the body from flu, colds and numerous infections of the gastrointestinal tract, skin, respiratory and urinary tract.
- Improves skin condition… Foods rich in vitamin A are indispensable in the diet for acne, psoriasis, eczema and demodicosis. It helps combat rosacea and excessive dryness of the skin. Retinol qualitatively accelerates the processes of skin regeneration in case of any damage – sunburn, cuts, allergic rashes. Regular consumption of foods high in vitamin A contributes to normal collagen synthesis and protects the skin from the negative effects of UV rays.
- Fights aging… Retinol prevents the appearance of expression and deep wrinkles, slows down photoaging due to its pronounced antioxidant effect. Also, foods rich in vitamin A help to improve the synthesis of steroid hormones in the body and spermatogenesis, protects cell membranes from the damaging effects of free radicals, which has a positive effect on the body. As prescribed by a specialist, retinol can be used to prevent cancer.
- Indispensable during pregnancy… Foods high in vitamin A in adequate doses are indispensable in the diet of a pregnant woman. Retinol promotes intrauterine development of the baby and significantly reduces the risks of early birth and other complications during pregnancy.
RIGHT DIET: where to start
Top 10 Vitamin A Rich Foods
What foods are rich in vitamin A and can satisfy its daily intake?
1. Fish oil
This product is obtained from Atlantic fish. It is a source of vitamin D and contains a record amount of retinol. Fish oil is easy to find at drugstores or health food stores – in liquid or capsule form. It is able to perform the function of natural non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, due to which it is often used in the treatment and prevention of rheumatoid arthritis. Fish oil eliminates cramps and reduces pain, qualitatively increases bone density.
The regular use of such a product rich in vitamin A has the prevention of osteoporosis in women in the post-climatic period. Also, fish oil is rich in omega-3 acids, which are antioxidants and significantly affect the condition of hair, skin and nails. It also contains vitamin K, which is responsible for the reproductive function in the body and slows down aging.
To replenish the daily intake of vitamin A, 1.5 grams of fish oil is enough.
2. Beef liver
It is a high vitamin A food that is also rich in many other nutrients. The liver contributes to the normalization of reproductive function, improves the condition of the retina and is indicated for a diet during rehabilitation after injuries.
Regular consumption of beef liver helps to saturate the body with B-carotene and vitamin B1, which improves the condition of the gastrointestinal tract and heart muscle.
About 20 grams of beef liver contains the daily value of retinol.
Carrots are not only rich in retinol, but also contain vitamin K, cobalt and silicon. The product has antioxidant properties, prevents increased blood clotting, qualitatively increases the level of prothrombin in the blood and improves skin condition due to vitamin E in the composition.
Carrots are suitable for any diet and are recommended for pregnant women to replenish microelements that are responsible for the development of the fetal bone and visual system.
Only 40 grams of raw carrots can satisfy the daily requirement of vitamin A.
4. River eel
This fish is not only tasty and dietary, but also very healthy when cooked correctly. Trace elements and vitamins in eel help improve eye and skin health, boost immunity, correct the metabolism and synthesis of phospholipids in the liver.
Vitamin B12 in river eel has a beneficial effect on metabolism, prevents anemia, thrombocytopenia and leukopenia. Also, the product is rich in choline, vitamin D, chromium, iodine, cobalt, phosphorus, selenium and vitamin E.
To replenish the daily value of retinol, only 100 grams of eel is needed.
This spicy herb is rich in antioxidant properties. It is not only a food high in vitamin A, but also a source of vitamin B9, which is essential for amino acid metabolism. Parsley improves immunity, improves protein synthesis in the body and improves digestion.
Parsley is also rich in calcium, phosphorus, beta-carotene, vitamin E, potassium, vitamin K, chromium and silicon.
100 grams of parsley contains the daily rate of retinol.
6. Egg yolk
Simple and affordable vitamin A, which contains valuable and healthy fats. The yolk strengthens the reproductive function, supports the immune system and provides the body with energy. Vitamin E in chicken yolk prevents photoaging and fights wrinkles.
Vitamin B1 improves the action of enzymes of energy and carbon metabolism, improves the metabolism of amino acids. Regular consumption of chicken yolk helps to normalize the condition of the heart, digestive and nervous systems. Vitamin A in the product prevents dim and light vision disorders.
About 100 grams of egg yolk fully satisfies the daily requirement of vitamin A.
Spinach is rich in potassium and calcium and contains high levels of retinol. The product improves the functionality of the retina, increases the body’s defenses and saturates with vitamin C. Spinach is a strong antioxidant and allows you to remove free radicals from the body.
Vitamin B2 in the composition of the product increases the susceptibility to dark and light adaptation of the eye, improves the barrier functions of the skin and mucous membranes. Regular consumption of spinach helps to strengthen the heart muscle and bones.
The daily intake of vitamin A is contained in 120 grams of spinach.
8. Dried apricots
Dried apricots are a great option for dried fruits to replace sweets on a diet or nutritional system. The use of dried apricots allows reduce the amount of artificial sugars in the body, saturate with potassium, vitamin B2 and carotene.
Dried apricots are an excellent antioxidant agent, increase immunity and help the visual analyzer adapt to dusk and light. The trace elements of the product contribute to the functionality of redox reactions and improve the condition of the skin. The dermis becomes moisturized, tightness and dryness go away. Daily use of dried apricots helps to improve the functions of the digestive tract, in particular – the intestines.
Two handfuls of sweet and fragrant dried apricots can cover the daily intake of vitamin A. For this, you need to eat 150 grams of the product per day.
9. Cod liver
Cod liver is very tasty, but high in calories. Cod liver improves skin condition, reduces breakouts and removes deep wrinkles. The product has a beneficial effect on the reproductive function of the body, improves vision. Vitamin B6 in the cod liver prevents problems with the skin, mucous membranes, prevents disorders of twilight and light vision, dark adaptation of the visual analyzer.
Also, the cod liver strengthens the immune system and normalizes the processes of the nervous system, its microelements help maintain a beneficial level of homocysteine in the blood, participate in the transformation of tryptophan, erythrocytes, nucleic acids. With moderate consumption, cod liver will not harm the figure and will help saturate the body with omega 3/6/9 fatty acids, strengthen the blood capillaries and the heart.
To replenish the daily requirement of vitamin A, you need only 20 grams of this product.
Celery is one of the healthiest and lowest calorie foods around. Besides, this vegetable crop increases the body’s barrier functions and promotes weight loss. Celery acts as an active antioxidant, removes toxic compounds and toxins.
Vitamin C in celery improves immunity, prevents the development of loose gums, frequent nosebleeds, fragility and permeability of blood capillaries. Celery in the daily menu promotes the absorption of iron, participates in redox processes.
Celery is rich in vitamin A in sufficient quantities. Just 120 grams of celery stalks and roots contains the daily requirement of retinol.